[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: tls, native TLS/SSL protocolimplementation

Vincent Hanquez tab at snarc.org
Mon Oct 11 06:05:32 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 09:06:45AM +0100, Sittampalam, Ganesh wrote:
> While I agree with the potential benefits, I also worry that you will
> end up making something that is far less well tested in practice. For
> widely used and fairly low-level libraries like gnutls, openssl and
> zlib, I'm just skeptical that the benefits outweigh the risks and costs.

Hi Ganesh,

You're absolutely right in the fact there's risk involved. Cryptography
related things are hard to get right, I won't be denying it. However
I'm really not a big fan of the alternative.

Having to rely forever on blessed black boxes coded in low level languages,
doesn't sound appealing to me. There's the risk that cryptography becomes
even more voodoo magic by doing that. This is certainly true for TLS/SSL.
a lots of people have no idea how it works, what it does and doesn't do.

So hopefully having a clean haskell library will make more people interested,
in changing this black-box state; an even bigger hope, is to vulgarize
cryptography, instead of making it more opaque ;)

> Anyway, it's just a feeling. Please do prove me wrong :-)

I'll certainly try ;)

--
Vincent