[Haskell-cafe] Re: Polyvariadic functions operating with a monoid

Kevin Jardine kevinjardine at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 10:39:33 EDT 2010

Another example that also fails to compile (but I cannot see why):

import Data.PolyToMonoid
import Data.Monoid

instance Monoid Int where
    mappend = (+)
    mempty = 0

instance Monoidable Int Int where
    toMonoid = id

main = putStrLn $ show $ unwrap $ polyToMonoid (0::Int) (1::Int)
(2::Int) (3::Int)

In this case, I was expecting a sumOf function.

This gives me:

No instance for (PolyVariadic Int (WMonoid m))
      arising from a use of `polyToMonoid'

Any further suggestions?