[Haskell-cafe] Re: Bulletproof resource management

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Fri Oct 8 15:18:52 EDT 2010

* Ben Franksen:

> You might be interested in Lightweight Monadic Regions
>
>   http://okmij.org/ftp/Haskell/regions.html#light-weight
>
> which solve the problem (IMHO) in a much cleaner way, i.e. w/o explicit
> closing and also w/o using finalizers.

Is this approach composeable in the sense that you can combine code
written in this code with code from another library?  I don't think
so.  The other library might provide something like IORef, and then
it's impossible to uphold static guarantees.

IMHO, this rules out such an approach (until it's part of the standard
library and forced upon everyone, which seems unlikely).