[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: tls, native TLS/SSL protocol implementation

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Fri Oct 8 12:36:19 EDT 2010

* Donn Cave:

> wikipedia:  "Managed code is a differentiation coined by Microsoft to
>     identify computer program code that requires and will only execute
>     under the "management" of a Common Language Runtime virtual machine
>     (resulting in Bytecode)."

I like this term, I apply it by extension to any system which enforces
memory safety (as long as you stick to non-internals, such as array
indexing, even Java has got (in practical terms) fairly portable
PEEK/POKE operations).

> In other words, a new way to say `interpreted',

This term doesn't really apply that well to the CLR because its
bytecode really can't be interpreted efficiently.  (The bytecodes lack
type information.)

> and `native' vs.  `interpreted' is a familiar distinction for more
> computing environments than just Java.  But it isn't relevant here,
> right?  Since neither the Haskell nor OpenSSL implementations are
> both compiled to CPU instructions.

Obviously, this depends on the implementation.  For Haskell and Java,
implementations which are based on precompiled machine code exist.
There are also implementations which rely on some form of
interpretation exclusively.  That's why the managed/unmanaged
distinction is more useful than the interpreted/compiled distinction.