[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: tls, native TLS/SSL protocol implementation

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 10:46:20 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> * Vincent Hanquez:
>
>> Native means the implementation is in haskell, and the library is
>> not using another implementation (in another language) to do the
>> work: either through FFI as a binding, or as a wrapper to an
>> external program.
>
> I can see how this terminology makes sense, but it's the opposite of
> the usage in Java (where "native" == "unmanaged code called via JNI").

I guess it depends on the context. If the context is a C program then
'native' means the C code in the program and 'foreign' means other
code like Haskell. If the context is a Haskell program then 'native'
means the Haskell code and 'foreign' means other code like C.

Most of the time we're programming in Haskell so I think our context
is Haskell. Also note that the "_Foreign_ Function Interface" hasn't
been named the "Haskell _Native_ Interface".

Bas