[Haskell-cafe] Eta-expansion destroys memoization?

David Sankel camior at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 22:51:41 EDT 2010

Brent & Yeu,

I recently ran into the same question. You can see the thread[1] which
includes lots of references to papers that describe the behavior you're
seeing along with examples.

Implementations of call-by-name lambda calculus all tend to have the same
runtime behavior that you're describing. It's usually called sharing.

You can look at how ghc reduces expressions like this directly(see [2] and
[3]). However, this is really low level and doesn't help us understand the
way other Haskell implementations work.

John Launchbury[4] came along and said "hey, these denotational definitions
of call-by-name lambda calculus don't help us understand the runtime of
current implementations". He developed a high level operational semantics
for call-by-name that correctly, and simply, accounts for sharing across all
implementations. I found the paper accessible and very helpful
when analyzing the sometimes mysterious runtime behavior of Haskell.

Ariola et. all[5] improved upon on Launchbury's work and made an even more
high level operational semantics for call-by-name which they called,
confusingly enough, "call-by-need". This paper is not as accessible as
Launchbury, but presents a clever way to describe how sharing works without
using a heap construct.

If you read carefully through the thread I mentioned in the beginning and
Launchbury's paper, you should be equipped to write down reductions by hand
that illustrate the different runtime behaviors of your
semantically equivalent expressions.

David

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/81029
[2] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Ministg