[Haskell-cafe] A model theory question

Alexander Solla ajs at 2piix.com
Thu Oct 7 20:26:54 EDT 2010

On Sep 30, 2010, at 1:39 AM, Patrick Browne wrote:

> I think my original question can be rephrased as:
> Can type classes preserve satisfaction under the the expansion
> sentences
> (signature/theory morphisms inducing a model morphism).
>
> According to [1] expansion requires further measures (programming?)
> which you demonstrated. But this raises are further question. Does
> Haskell’s  multiple inheritance represent a model expansion where the
> classes in the context of an instance are combined in the new bigger
> model?

In principle, the answer is yes (I think).  But I kept running into
walls when I tried.  It is almost as if there is "too big" a gap to be
filled between compile-time and run-time.  At least for the approaches
I tried.

I have two suggestions though.  First, monadism is a great way to
approach this problem from a run-time level.  Indeed, a monad is an
interpreter, which comes with the associated notions of a free algebra/
model and the like.  Injecting a new axiom amounts to creating a new
monadic action.  Monad transformers can do lifting and lowering in a
fairly straight forward way.

Another suggestion is to check out the OOHaskell paper.  I know they
use type level forcing to get stuff done, but I guess they used a
different cluster of extensions than I tried.  http://homepages.cwi.nl/~ralf/OOHaskell/

Sorry for the delay in responding.

-Alex