[Haskell-cafe] Ordering vs. Order

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Thu Oct 7 08:35:25 EDT 2010

Christian Sternagel <c.sternagel at gmail.com> writes:

> recently I was wondering about the two words "order" and "ordering"

I would use "ordering" to mean the relation or function that orders
(ranks) elements, and I'd use "order" to refer the actual progression.
So by applying an ordering, you get elements in a particular order.

My dictionary lists them as synonyms for this, but "order" has the
unfortunate potential to be confused with the verb, and generally seems
to have more possible meanings than "ordering".

> I'm not a native English speaker

Me neither. :-)

-k