[Haskell-cafe] Haskellers.com profiles: advice requested

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Thu Oct 7 02:27:50 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Brent Yorgey <byorgey at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:

> One (slightly off-topic) question: at the top of the site it says "the
> meeting place for professional Haskell programmers".  Is this supposed
> to be geared towards Haskell programmers who get paid (or want to get
> paid) to write Haskell?  If so, fine; if not, in my opinion the word
> "professional" ought to be dropped.

The fact is that the site has two functions: on the one hand, it's
simply a social network for anyone connected to the Haskell world. In
that sense, the word "professional" is inaccurate. However, the second
function is to encourage Haskell usage in industry, by showing a large
number of highly qualified Haskell programmers. In this sense, the
word professional is very apt.

I hope the word professional isn't scaring off the hobbyists; I would
definitely want them to be signing up on the site as well. But as far
as the "marketing" of the site goes, I think our main goal should be
impressing industry.

Michael