[Haskell-cafe] Haskellers.com profiles: advice requested

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed Oct 6 06:02:04 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Serguey Zefirov <sergueyz at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/10/6 Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After finally getting OpenID 2 support worked out, I've now put up the
>> Haskellers.com website[1]. Not all features are implemented yet, but
>> the basics are in.
>
> Would it be possible to be able to login or consolidate two (or more)
> different OpenID?
>
> For example, I would like to identify myself using GMail or Livejournal OpenID.

That's a planned feature, and the database is already designed to support this.

>> For now, I collect email address (spam-protected, don't worry),
>> website, number of years of Haskell experience, and a free-form
>> description. I've also added a skills section, but have purposely not
>> added many. I wanted community input on the kinds of skills. Some
>> ideas:
>>
>> * Web programming
>> * Compiler writing
>> * Write a monad tutorial :/
>>
>> I see two main questions when it comes to selecting this list of skills:
>>
>> * How granular should we get? For web programming, for instance,
>> should we ask about Yesod, Happstack, Snap, etc?
>
> I think that "skill cloud" would be nice so I can add my new skills
> (packages, programs, domain specific knowledge) as I acquire them (or
> write them).

Could you describe what you mean by "skill cloud" here? I was more
focused right now on the skills available for selection versus the
manner of displaying them.

>> * Should we include non-Haskell skills. I can imagine that employers
>> would like to know that people also have experience with Java/C#/etc,
>> but on the other hand we might want to make this Haskell-specific.
>>
>> One recommendation (from my wife actually) is to have two separate
>> lists: a static list of Haskell-specific skills that users simply
>> checkmark off, and then  "additional skills" that everyone makes up
>> themselves.
>
> If we provide some links associated with tags, it would be possible to
> classify skills according to their relevance to haskell community.

Once again, I'm not quite sure what you mean here; could you clarify?

Michael