[Haskell-cafe] Lambda-case / lambda-if

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Tue Oct 5 15:28:25 EDT 2010

Donn Cave <donn at avvanta.com> writes:

> I think you're not the first to ask.  Just out of curiosity, or is
> there a use for these variations?

Just that they seem to be natural generalizations.  If it's just the
single form of paramtrizing the condition, I think it's better served by
a regular function, 'bool' or (??) or whatever.

> The reason for the initially proposed construct seems clear enough
> to me, it's very much like `case'.

>   getargs >>= if then beTrue else beFalse . (==) ["-t"]

Isn't this equivalent, and only slightly more cumbersome?

  getArgs >>= case of {True -> beTrue; False -> beFalse} . (==) ["-t"]

(And of course,

  getArgs >>= case of ["-t"] -> beTrue; _ -> beFalse

is probably clearer anyway.)

-k