happstack-ixset internals/performance (was Re: [Haskell-cafe] Inverse of HaskellDB)

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Sat Oct 2 15:09:32 EDT 2010

In the current version of IxSet, the performance of querying on just
the Lon would be essentially the same as if you just had a "Data.Map
Lon Point". But the queries on the second index are current not so
great. There is work in progress to rewrite the internals of IxSet to
be based on a kd-tree, in which case your query should be pretty
efficient.

So, that answer is pretty vague :) I am in the process of wrapping up
happstack 0.6 which has focused on fixing some performance issues with
happstack-server, and refactoring the code so that user API and
internals are more clearly separated and better documented.

happstack 0.7 is all about happstack-state. A key aspect will be
nailing down some solid performance benchmarks instead of vague hand
waving :)

The numbers you give are certainly within the scope of what we would
like 0.7 to be able to handle. Also, I should note that
happstack-state and happstack-ixset are independent from each other.
You can easily use something other than IxSet to store your points and
still use happstack-state.

- jeremy