[Haskell-cafe] Re: I still cannot seem to get a GUI working under Windows.

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 09:30:02 EDT 2010

Regarding GUIs, I really miss a pure functional framework for doing so.

Currently I'm using Microsoft's WPF, and that is more or less declarative, a
bit like BOOPSI or MUI on the good old Amiga days. But WPF has so many
little quirks, not to mentioned a weakly typed XML-like language called
"XAML".  Still it offers the best experiences I had so far, because it is
very composable.

What I would love is to build GUIs the Fruit/Yampa or maybe Reactive/Elerea
way, using a graphical editor if possible. And allow separation of data
(model and view-model) and looks (styling, CSS, themes...)

Oh and it should preferably make use of the GPU as much as possible, where
it makes sense at least.

Anyway knows about such a framework in Haskell? It's a gigantic undertaking,
but maybe if someone can make the basic framework, others in the community
will develop controls for it?

Cheers,
Peter Verswyvelen