[Haskell-cafe] Re: I still cannot seem to get a GUI working under Windows.

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Sat Oct 2 05:36:48 EDT 2010

Jeremy O'Donoghue wrote:
> Apologies folks, rant coming up...
> [...]
>
> Bear in mind that as I have a (very) demanding day job and a young
> family, I actually have no more than 3-4 hours a week (at best) to spend
> maintaining wxHaskell. Bear in mind also that my interest in wxHaskell
> was always to be able to develop software in Haskell, not fight with
> linkers and build systems (I get enough of that at work, thanks). While
> that's my personal problem, and others may not have the same issues, so
> please feel free to not care at all, it's worth bearing in mind...
>
> wxHaskell consists of a set of C bindings over the C++ core of
> wxWidgets. Broadly speaking, these unmangle the C++ names and do little
> else.
>
> [...]
>
> Actually, I don't completely agree. I think that the issue is that
> making things better on Windows (and likely OS X as well) requires
> co-ordinated and agreed action across a number of areas. This means
> getting a moderate number of people, most of whom give up their time and
> effort for free, and for the good of the community, to agree on what is
> needed and to prioritize it in a co-ordinated way. The action needed by
> any individual might be relatively small, but without community
> agreement and action, the end goal cannot be achieved.

Jeremy, I very much appreciate your efforts as a maintainer of
wxHaskell, even more so after I have begun to write a small helper
application for my video stuff (which is a bit stalled now because I
didn't have the courage to wrestle with wxGraphicsContext to get
antialiased drawings).

Would you put a flattr button [1] on the wxHaskell page? This way,
people like me would be able to show their appreciation by donating a
small amount of *money*. Granted, it is not much and certainly does not
help with any of your external constraints, but it is a more forthright
form of showing that your work is valued than a silent download or
virtual nod.

   [1]: http://flattr.com

Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus