[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: atomo 0.1, a simple, adventurous programming language

Alex Suraci i.am at toogeneric.com
Fri Oct 1 00:06:41 EDT 2010

Over the past few months I've been designing and implementing a new language
called Atomo. The idea is to build up a very expressive language from as few
parts as possible, akin to Io or Scheme. But first, the fundamentals:
prototype-based object-orientation with multiple dispatch and pattern-matching.

Still here?

Great!

Being object-oriented and dynamic, I expect a few boos and hisses, but if you
want to dive in, it's a lot of fun. :) An immense amount of progress has been
made in a short amount of time.

It already sports a powerful documentation system (similar to Racket's
Scribble), and a package manager is in the works (it's functional, but it's
local-only). For a while I had atomo-lang.org serving up a site powered by
Atomo itself, with Snap underneath via Atomo's Haskell interface. It's down at
the moment (it was wrestling with darcsden over my VPS's resources), but the
docs are always available:

Documentation: http://atomo-lang.org/docs/ (work-in-progress)

Repository: http://darcsden.com/alex/atomo

Examples: http://darcsden.com/alex/atomo/browse/examples

I recommend the generators example if you want some mind-bending, or html.atomo
for a nice EDSL, or web.(atomo|hs) for an example of Haskell interop.

On Hackage: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/atomo

Installation: `cabal install atomo` should "just work", though I haven't worked
out the appropriate version numbers for all of its dependencies yet. Hackage
shows a build failure, but that seems to be caused by Haddock; I still haven't
figured that out.

If you want to get involved, you can find me on freenode in #atomo (and
#haskell); my nick is alexsuraci. Or, you can fork the repository on darcsden.
I'd just like to put this out there to see if anyone else is interested in
playing with this.

--
Alex