[Haskell-cafe] GHC 7.0.1 developer challenges

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Thu Nov 25 15:29:26 CET 2010

"Edward Z. Yang" <ezyang at MIT.EDU> writes:

> Arguably the correct thing to do is to use GHC's hooks for
> programatically specifying runtime options; unfortunately, because
> this has to run /before/ any Haskell code starts, it's a bit
> unwieldly

Maybe what's needed is a way to allow certain RTS options to trickle
through?  For example, I'd like to be able to change +RTS -Nx to just
'-c x', or similar.

Anyway, you can also use OS limits on processes (ulimit -a in bash) that
can run away with all your memory.

And if it actually freezes your machine (as opposed to making it go
really slowly), that's a kernel bug.

-k