[Haskell-cafe] Re: Reply-To: Header in Mailinglists (was: About "Fun with type functions" example)

Maciej Piechotka uzytkownik2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 09:16:04 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 04:55 +0100, Bastian Erdnüß wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I just put an answer two this in beginners at haskell.org.  It was not on purpose to move the topic.  It's just that questions I feel I can answer are usually beginner level questions and so I'm not often writing in the cafe itself.
>
> It would make my life a little bit more easy if the mailing lists on haskell.org would add a Reply-To: header automatically to each message containing the address of the mailing list, the message was sent to.  Usually that's the place where others would want to sent the answers to, I would suppose.
>
> Is there a reason that that's not the case?  Am I missing something?  Or am I supposed to install a more cleaver mail client which can do that for me?  Is there one?  Probably written in Haskell ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Bastian
>
> On

Inserting the Reply-To header is against the RFC (if you like I can find
exact quote). Reply-To is a header marking where *author* of message
wants to receive replies.

There are many reasons why you want to reply privately - for example you
want to say about crossing the rules of netiquette etc., disclose some
information not intended for public view (remote code execution bug)
etc.

You press "reply to author" button and... oops. it wasn't suppose to go
public.

There is a specialized header meant to specify mailing list which should
and is be used.

Regards

PS. Probably it varies from ML to ML along with top and bottom posting
along with 72-character limit in line.