[Haskell-cafe] About "Fun with type functions" example

Miguel Mitrofanov miguelimo38 at yandex.ru
Fri Nov 19 03:24:19 EST 2010

  A continuation.

You can't know, what type your "fromInt n" should be, but you're not going to just leave it anyway, you're gonna do some calculations with it, resulting in something of type r. So, your calculation is
gonna be of type (forall n. Nat n => n -> r). So, if you imagine for a moment that "fromInt" is somehow implemented, what you're gonna do with it is something like

calculate :: Int -> r
calculate i = let n = fromInt i in k n

where k is of type (forall n. Nat n => n -> r). Now we capture this pattern in a function:

genericCalculate :: Int -> (forall n. Nat n => n -> r) -> r
genericCalculate i k = let n = fromInt i in k n

Going back to reality, fromInt can't be implemented, but genericCalculate probably can, since it doesn't involve calculating a type.