[Haskell-cafe] Reply-To: Header in Mailinglists (was: About "Fun with type functions" example)

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Nov 19 03:11:10 EST 2010

Hi Bastian,

I generally observe the pattern that non-technical mailing lists tend to
set this header to help the user, while technical mailing list assume
(rightfully, IMHO) that the readers are fine without Reply-To. The
reasons against setting that I recall at the moment are:
 * Mails meant to be send privately but accidentally sent to the list
are worse than mails meant to be public but sent privately.
 * Users who send to the list with a Reply-To header set do not want
that header to be lost.
 * With some clients, the Reply-To-All feature does not always work as
expected when there is a Reply-To-Header.

Most clients have a Reply-To-List feature (Evolution on Ctrl-L) that
works fine, once you get used to it.

Greetings,
Joachim

--