[Haskell-cafe] Re: borked windows environment, want to start over

Paulo Tanimoto ptanimoto at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 20:52:33 EST 2010

Hi Michael,

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Michael Litchard <michael at schmong.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Michael Litchard <michael at schmong.org> wrote:
>> I think I may have borked things good using cygwin. I want to remove
>> it and do a clean install of haskell platform w/out cygwin. What do I
>> need to do to make sure all configuration files have been removed?
>>

> Hmm, I wasn't precise enough in my question. My concern is there are
> configuration files related to the windows haskell-platform install
> that I don't know about , that need to be removed prior to doing a
> clean install. Or is it just a matter of doing a standard windows
> uninstall, will that take care of things?

I'm no Windows expert, but I think by default all packages you install
locally go under:

  /Documents and Settings/username/Application Data/cabal
  /Documents and Settings/username/Application Data/ghc

So you if you didn't install things globally, you may not need to
reinstall the Haskell Platform.  You just move those directories and
they will be recreated.

One of the first things I do after installing GHC is:

$ ghc-pkg check

to make sure things look sane.  If they don't it will tell you to run:

$ ghc-pkg recache

Is this what you're asking?

Paulo