[Haskell-cafe] xml packages

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 10:59:05 EST 2010

> First question. As I saw in sources, both hxt and haxml uses [Char]'s.
> this is very inefficient. I want to know, does any effective parser for
> haskell, written in haskell, exists.

The TagSoup parser can generate ByteString syntax trees - but they're
quite a bit slower than [Char] versions. I am planning to speed up the
ByteString version in the future:
http://code.google.com/p/ndmitchell/issues/detail?id=290

> Efficient means using ByteString to
> store strings and possibly building representations that shares one
> string for all similiary named elements. If there is no, is anyone
> interested in writing one?

I intend to do that in TagSoup, and it can even be done now by running
a Map state over the available strings with fmap.

Thanks, Neil