[Haskell-cafe] Updating Haskell Packages through Archlinux becoming A Pain

Mathew de Detrich deteego at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 19:27:15 EST 2010

Well basically, I haven't update my Haskell libraries for some time now
(around a month) so when I finally got around to updating my Haskell
packages (which are installed through Archlinux's AUR) my GHC installation
broke (again). This has been happening for some time now (I have been having
this problem for around a year)

Basically it occurs when pacman updates a package using an AUR package,
which cabal refuses to install because it can break other packages (yet the
package still gets installed according to pacman). So this means I have to
manually go through /usr/lib/ghc-6.12.3/package.conf.d and manually updating
all the package hashes while doing some manual dependency tracking through
ghc-check

This honestly starting to become annoying, is there any ideas or plans on
how to resolve this issue. The end user shouldn't have to be dealing with
this, and if installing a package can break the system, it shouldn't be
'semi' installed in the first place