[Haskell-cafe] Re: dynamic loading of code on windows

Arnaud Bailly arnaud.oqube at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 13:41:39 EST 2010

Hello again,
So I followed Kevin's suggestion and installed MinGW along with gcc
and autoconf tools needed by hs-plugins. Then it failed with the
following error:

$ cabal install --enable-documentation plugins
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring plugins-1.5.1.4...
checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking for ghc... ghc
checking for value of __GLASGOW_HASKELL__... 612
checking for ghc library directory... D:\Program Files\Haskell Platform\2010.2.0
.0\lib
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.exe
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for arc4random... no
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating config.mk
config.status: creating testsuite/makewith/io/TestIO.conf
config.status: creating testsuite/makewith/unsafeio/Unsafe.conf
config.status: creating config.h
Preprocessing library plugins-1.5.1.4...
Building plugins-1.5.1.4...
[ 1 of 12] Compiling System.Plugins.Process ( src\System\Plugins\Process.hs, dis
t\build\System\Plugins\Process.o )
[ 2 of 12] Compiling System.Plugins.Parser ( src\System\Plugins\Parser.hs, dist\
build\System\Plugins\Parser.o )
[ 3 of 12] Compiling System.Plugins.LoadTypes ( src\System\Plugins\LoadTypes.hs,
 dist\build\System\Plugins\LoadTypes.o )
[ 4 of 12] Compiling System.Plugins.Consts ( src\System\Plugins\Consts.hs, dist\
build\System\Plugins\Consts.o )

src\System\Plugins\Consts.hs:39:22:
    lexical error in string/character literal at character 'P'
cabal.exe: Error: some packages failed to install:
plugins-1.5.1.4 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1

Any clues? Should I try to use latest source tree? I am really
interested in the plugins approach, rather than the interpreter
approach. What I am trying to achieve is a system similar to Yi as
presented in Don Stewart's paper
(http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/papers/yi.pdf), but much simpler, of
course. The system would load modules as found in some known location,
run tests found here before really accepting them, then use them, with
the possibility of replacing those modules when a newer version is
found. The idea is  to provide a self-tested and continuously running
system for development, something that might be reminiscent of
Smalltalk although I never programmed in Smalltalk.

Thanks in advance for advises,

REgards,
Arnaud