[Haskell-cafe] Type Directed Name Resolution

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Sun Nov 14 19:28:05 EST 2010

On 13/11/2010, at 9:33 AM, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2010, at 20:21, Andrew Coppin wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/2010 08:43 PM, Richard O'Keefe wrote:
>>> If length, map, and so on had always been part of a Sequence
>>> typeclass, people would not now be talking about
>>
>> It's always puzzled me that Haskell's standard containers almost completely lack any way to use them polymorphically.
>
> On the contrary, there is the Edison package of containers and algorithms

from which the typeclass name Sequence was drawn...

I have a copy of Okasaki's book.  There is definitely room for a middle
ground in documentation between that book and the Haddock pages for
the Edison library.  Something that provides an overview of what is there
and why you'd use it, with examples.