[Haskell-cafe] RegEx versus (Parsec, TagSoup, others...)

Michael Litchard michael at schmong.org
Fri Nov 12 18:56:26 EST 2010

I've been working on a project that requires me to do screen scraping.
When I first started this, I worked off of other people's examples.
Not one used regex. By luck I found someone at work to help me along
this project. His clues and hints don't use regex either. I was at a
point where I had to make a decision concerning design, so I asked the
guy sitting next to me at work. He's very experienced, and comes from
a Perl perspective. I let him into what I was doing, and he opined I
should be using pcre. So now I'm second guessing my choices. Why do
people choose not to use regex for uri parsing?