[Haskell-cafe] Type Directed Name Resolution

Malcolm Wallace malcolm.wallace at me.com
Thu Nov 11 10:26:09 EST 2010

> The point is that refusing something you can have now (though
> of course it's an open question whether TDNR is something we can "have
> now") out of fear that it'll prevent you getting something better
> later is speculative and often backfires.

I think we are very far from having TDNR "now".  It is really quite
complicated to interleave name resolution with type checking in any
compiler.  So far, we have a design, that's all, no implementation.
We also have (several) designs for proper record systems.

If the outcome of this discussion is a clamour for better records
instead of TDNR, then that would certainly make me happy.

Regards,
     Malcolm