[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANN: network-2.2.3, merger with network-bytestring

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 09:44:05 EST 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I like to announce a new version of the network package,
> network-2.2.3. You can install the latest version by running:
>
>    cabal update && cabal install network
>
> This version marks the end of the network-bytestring package, which
> has now been merged into the network package. This means that
> efficient and correct networking using ByteStrings is available as
> part of the standard network package.
>
> As part of the merger, two new modules have been added:
> Network.Socket.ByteString and Network.Socket.ByteString.lAzy
>
> This release is backwards compatible with the previous release.

After merging the packages, I only bumped the minor version of
network. That wasn't a great idea, as anyone with a dependency on
"network == 2.2.*" (or equivalent) and network-bytestring got build
problems due to module name clashes.

I've released network-2.3 and added a preferred version constraint to
Hackage to avoid having people end up using network-2.2.3.*. If you
want the new ByteString-based modules please depend on network-2.3.*,
if you use qualified imports, and network-2.3.0.*, if you don't.

If you previously depended on both network and network-bytestring and
still want to support older versions of network you can use Cabal's
flag feature. Example:

flag network-bytestring

Library
  if flag(network-bytestring)