[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: The Fibon benchmark suite (v0.2.0)

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Tue Nov 9 16:45:41 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 1:24 PM, David Peixotto <dmp at rice.edu> wrote:

> I'm pleased to announce the release of the Fibon benchmark tools and suite.
>
> Fibon is a set of tools for running and analyzing benchmark programs in
> Haskell. Most importantly, it includes an optional set of benchmark
> programs including many programs taken from the Hackage open source
> repository.
>
> The source code for the tools and benchmarks are available on github
>
>   https://github.com/dmpots/fibon
>   http://github.com/dmpots/fibon-benchmarks
>
> The Fibon tools (without the benchmarks) are available on hackage.
>
>   http://hackage.haskell.org/package/fibon
>
> The package needs to be unpacked and built in place to be able to run any
> benchmarks. It can be used with the official Fibon benchmarks or you can
> create your own suite and just use Fibon to run and analyze your benchmark
> programs.
>
> Some more documentation is available on the fibon wiki
>
>   https://github.com/dmpots/fibon/wiki
>
> Fibon Tools
> Fibon is a pure Haskell framework for running and analyzing benchmark
> programs. Cabal is used for building the benchmarks. The benchmark
> harness, configuration files, and benchmark descriptions are all written in
> Haskell. The benchmark descriptions and run configurations are all
> statically
> compiled into the benchmark runner to ensure that configuration errors are
> found at compile time.
>
> The Fibon tools are not tied to any compiler infrastructure and can build
> benchmarks using any compiler supported by cabal. However, there are some
> extra features available when using GHC to build the benchmarks:
>
>   * Support in config files for using an inplace GHC HEAD build
>   * Support in `fibon-run` for collecting GC stats from GHC compiled
> programs
>   * Support in `fibon-analyse` for reading GC stats from Fibon result files
>
> The Fibon Benchmark Suite
> The Fibon benchmark suite currently contains 34 benchmarks from a variety
> of
> sources. The individual benchmarks and lines of code are given below.

Congrats on the release!  It looks like you've invested a lot of time and
put in some hard work.

I have a few questions:
  * What differentiates fibon from criterion?  I see both use the statistics
package.
  * Does it track memory statistics?  I glanced at the FAQ but didn't see
anything about it.
  * Are the numbers in the sample output seconds or milliseconds?  What is
the stddev (eg., what does the distribution of run-times look like)?

Thanks,
Jason