[Haskell-cafe] xml packages

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Nov 9 14:17:19 EST 2010

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010, Permjacov Evgeniy wrote:

> First question. As I saw in sources, both hxt and haxml uses [Char]'s.
> this is very inefficient. I want to know, does any effective parser for
> haskell, written in haskell, exists. Efficient means using ByteString to
> store strings and possibly building representations that shares one
> string for all similiary named elements. If there is no, is anyone
> interested in writing one?

ByteString would be only useful for (undecoded) input. XML identifiers and
text have to be Unicode, thus the 'text' library could be a replacement
for String. In the pre-'text' era I tried to use ByteString as input and
String for XML identifiers and text and got no significant speedup.

> Second question. I'd like to have a package for read-write-edit SVG
> graphics. I think, xslt (both transformations and formatting object) are
> interesting too. Is anyone considering writing such packages?

It would be nice. We already have HPDF for PDF construction and hps for
PostScript construction and cairo for construction of PDF, PS, SVG.