[Haskell-cafe] Re: "Haskell is a scripting language inspiredby Python."

namekuseijin namekuseijin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 13:05:38 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Ketil Malde <ketil at malde.org> wrote:
> Luke Palmer <lrpalmer at gmail.com> writes:
>
>>  To us, scripting meant short, potent code that rolled off your
>> fingers and into the computers mind, compelling it to do your job with
>> reverence to the super power you truly are.
>
> Just when I thought, oh, there are two definitions for "scripting
> language", another one pops out.  So scripting languages can be three
> things:
>
> 1) A language for controlling ('scripting') an application (e.g. TCL, VBA)
> 2) A language for controlling the running of various applications
>   (e.g. shell scripts)
> 3) An agile language for making short programs (e.g. Perl)
>
> More definitions of scripting language:
>
>  a) too slow to do real work
>  b) Also they "don't scale well"
>
> I think Haskell can be fast enough to do 'real work', and although I
> haven't really written any large programs in Haskell, I don't see why it
> should scale worse than other languages.

here's another definition:

"a script is what you give the actors, but a program is what you give
the audience"
-- Ada Lovelace according to Larry Wall

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Larry_Wall#The_State_of_the_Onion_11

Like most Larry quotes, it is immediately loveable.

one of Haskell creators calls Haskell an "advanced scripting language":

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/emeijer/ErikMeijer.html