[Haskell-cafe] Finding the contents of haskell platform?

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 14:11:05 EDT 2010

On 6 November 2010 18:01, Alexander Solla <ajs at 2piix.com> wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2010, at 3:56 AM, Stephen Tetley wrote:
>
>> Modern browsers might add in arrow from a different font if it is not
>> present in the one chosen by the web page author - I suspect this is
>> happening on this page where the arrow "looks wrong" typographically:
>
> I don't think that's what's going on.  Notice that the font used in that
> page is fixed width.  The arrow looks wrong because it has to fit in a fixed
> width space.  Fixed width arrows all look stubby, even if they are styled
> like the rest of the font.

Yes - I expect I'm wrong on that, although I'd say the arrow looks
wrong because its too low.

I thought I read that Firefox does a font swap if it can't find a
glyph, but thinking about it myself I can't see that this would make
sense - Firefox would have to know an awful lot about the OSes fonts
to know if they have "missing" glyphs.