[Haskell-cafe] Finding the contents of haskell platform?

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 06:56:32 EDT 2010

On 6 November 2010 09:52, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:

> I can't remember the last time I saw a browser that couldn't do this. There
> /are/ symbols that don't work reliably, but the basic arrow symbols seem to
> be pretty well supported.

Okay I'll shift my position a bit...

Arrows are likely present in a "modern" "system" font. Outside the
Symbol font, they aren't a standard symbol in PostScript and the font
standards are based on PostScript - OpenType being the latest though
it has less PostScript than its predecessors. But fonts are still
quite a different beast to Unicode. So fonts are completely free not
to define arrows or most other symbols, however it seems that standard
system fonts e.g Arial, Times New Roman on Windows define them.
There's no guarantee they will be present in the standard system fonts
on old systems or in non-system fonts that define whichever symbols
the font designer feels necessary.

Modern browsers might add in arrow from a different font if it is not
present in the one chosen by the web page author - I suspect this is
happening on this page where the arrow "looks wrong" typographically:

http://conal.net/blog/posts/adding-numbers/