[Haskell-cafe] Compiler constraints in cabal

Reiner Pope reiner.pope at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 06:20:15 EDT 2010

I was aware of this condition, but I'm not precisely sure it addresses
my requirements. When you run "cabal install some-package", cabal
reads all version constraints listed in the "build-depends" field, and
chooses which versions of which packages to download from Hackage in
order to satisfy these constraints.

I want to expose my dependency on a particular version of ghc to
cabal's constraint satisfier. The end result I want is that when you
type "cabal install hmatrix-static" with ghc-6.12 installed, then
cabal chooses hmatrix-static-0.3; and when you type "cabal install
hmatrix-static" with ghc-7.0 installed, then cabal chooses
hmatrix-static-0.4.

As I understand it, using "impl(ghc >= 7.0)" won't achieve this.

The closest thing I can think of is to write my hmatrix-static.cabal
file for version 0.4 as:

> if impl(ghc < 7.0)
>    build-depends: nonexistant-package

so that cabal cannot satisfy the constraints for hmatrix-static-0.4
unless I have ghc >= 7.0.

This seems a little hacky, and I'm also not sure if it works. (I'm
finding it rather hard to test these ideas, because I don't want to
upload a new package to Hackage every time...)

All the best,
Reiner