[Haskell-cafe] Re: "Haskell is a scripting language inspired by Python."

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 4 16:53:34 EDT 2010

On 04/11/2010 08:17 PM, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2010, Andrew Coppin wrote:
>
>> On a somewhat tangental note: It seems increadible to me that Haskell
>> was invented in 1990, and Miranda way back in 1985. At the same time,
>> Commodore Business Machines released the iconic Commodore 64 in 1982,
>> and most of the civilised people of the world spent the next 10 years
>> or so writing computer programs in BASIC. It's a rather sobering
>> thought to think that way back in those long-lost days of 8-bit
>> microprocessors, RF-modulated graphics and unstructured programming,
>> there were people somewhere working on languages such as Miranda. I
>> mean, comparing BASIC to FP is like comparing a water pistol to a
>> tactical thermonuclear device. (!) Where the heck did all this stuff
>> happen?! Can you actually run something like Haskell with mere
>> kilobytes of RAM?
>
> For me at least 1985 is the year, where the Amiga 1000 was released.
> At this time, machines with a MC 68020 were refered to as "Work
> stations", what for me meant something like "expensive professional
> computer". For Amiga with some megabytes RAM and a CD drive we had the
> Geek-Gadgets-2-CD in 1997 that contained Gofer. However at this time I
> was glad to program in object oriented style and especially GUIs with
> OOP.

I didn't get to see the Amiga 600 until at least five or six years later
than that. (It's actually news to me that the Amiga line is that old.)
And I spent most of my time programming it in Pascal (or AMOS BASIC -
but that's not really "BASIC" any more). And between that, there was
Borland Turbo Pascal 5.5 for MS-DOS, if you were forced to use a PC.
It's scary to think that even way back then, vastly superior languages
were being used in secret...