[Haskell-cafe] Re: "Haskell is a scripting language inspired by Python."

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Thu Nov 4 16:47:20 EDT 2010

Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> writes:

> On a somewhat tangental note: It seems increadible to me that Haskell
> was invented in 1990, and Miranda way back in 1985. At the same time,
> Commodore Business Machines released the iconic Commodore 64 in 1982,

It is amazing - although as you point out, computers weren't very
capable, so although it may have been possible to run Gofer on an Amiga,
it was not what the 1337 hackers used for their demos.

But it shows how incredibly inert the field of computer science really
is.  Or perhaps, how far software engineering is removed from computer
science.

Makes you wonder what the current day developments are that will be
fighting for a corner of the mainstream in thirty years.

-k