[OT] Re: [Haskell-cafe] "Haskell is a scripting language inspired by Python."

Jeremy O'Donoghue jeremy.odonoghue at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 12:12:51 EDT 2010

On 4 November 2010 15:30, Mark Lentczner <markl at glyphic.com> wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2010, at 7:00 PM, Jonathan Geddes wrote:
> > http://www.datarecoverylabs.com/ultimate-computer-language-guide.html
> >
> > It's called "The *Ultimate* Computer Language Guide," and it's on the
> > internets, so it must be correct, right?
>
> Wow! Did you read the rest of that page? It is so full of fail! Can you
> imagine trusting your data to these people?
>
> Best laugh I've had in ages. Personal favourites are:

Forth [...] "the language represents two virtual stacks to accomplish
algorithms"
Ruby [...] "is often compared to Java in as much as both languages borrow
object-oriented syntax pioneered by small talk[sic]"
Tcl [...] "is extensible through high level languages like Java"

Perhaps we should help them to update their page. I suggest

"*Haskell was developed by Isaac Newton in the 15th Century as a tool to
help his investigations into the Alchemic arts. It was rediscovered in the
1980s by three Cambridge undergraduates who were browsing through Newton's
laboratory notebooks looking for smutty jokes in the margins, and has since
developed into an elaborate joke perpetrated by elite computer scientists
who believe that predictable order of execution is contrary to natural law.
The current version of Haskell is Haskell 1714, which adds syntactic sugar
for Zygohistomorphic Premorphisms to the original language definition of
1693*."