[Haskell-cafe] Re: "Haskell is a scripting language inspired by Python."

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 11:24:14 EDT 2010

I'm no compiler writer but as a layperson I'd guess for that you'd at least
need a program that could determine if two constructs are equivalent, the
Haskell and Python list comprehension example from 2 emails ago. The only
way I can think to do that is to parse some source in language X and see if
the AST generated is the same as language Y.

As far as something fully automated my intuition tells me that you'd need a
single program that could act as a compiler and/or interpreter for all the
languages you're trying to test. This is the only way, for example, to
automatically determine that variable scoping works the same in Javascript
and Scheme.