[Haskell-cafe] Re: "Haskell is a scripting language inspired by Python."

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Thu Nov 4 07:09:51 EDT 2010

Stephen Tetley wrote:

> Did Haskell get significant whitespace from Python - doubtful as
> Python possibly wasn't visible enough at the time, but you never know.
> Doesn't COBOL have significant layout anyway as an inspiration to
> both?

As far as I am informed, Python got the significant whitespace from
Haskell. Haskell itself (or rather the design committee) got the idea
from SASL (1976) and Miranda (1986), though it goes way back to the
1960s, as described in section 4.1 "Layout" of

   http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/History_of_Haskell

Regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--