[Haskell-cafe] ffmpeg-tutorials fails to build

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 09:06:02 EDT 2010

> Message: 10
> Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 00:38:53 -0200
> From: Victor Oliveira <rhapsodyv at gmail.com>
>
> Hi,
>
> Info:
> ghc 6.12.3 (installed from haskell plataform)
> Mac os x snow leopard 10.6.4
> ffmpeg instaled from ports - ffmpeg @0.6.1
> hs-ffmpeg  0.3.4 - installed from cabal-install
>
> When I try compile this package, I get this erros:
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> Linking dist/build/tutorial01/tutorial01 ...
> ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib//libavformat.dylib, file was built for
> unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)

GHC only supports building 32-bit on OSX, but gcc on Snow Leopard defaults
to 64-bit.

You need to build universal variants of libraries you want to link in
Macports (and their dependencies).  I think this is enabled by

port install ffmpeg UNIVERSAL=1

although you'll need to force ffmpeg (and everything it depends on) to
 rebuild.

John