[Haskell-cafe] Finding the contents of haskell platform?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Nov 1 11:46:50 EDT 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 14:47, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> magnus:
>> I know there's a .cabal file for the latest version of HP somewhere,
>> but I can't coerce Google into finding me a link that actually works.
>> Furthermore, the following page:
>>
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/contents.html
>>
>> does list all the contents, but to my big surprise it doesn't link to
>> the specific versions of the packages for HP, instead it links to the
>> latest version found on Hackage.
>>
>> Would someone with the power to make changes on the HP pages *please*
>> make it as easy as possible to find the *exact* specification of what
>> HP contains?  Please, pretty please with sugar on top.
>>
>> No, a changelog entry
>> (http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/changelog.html) is not very
>> helpful (why the HP front page links to it I can't understand).
>>
>> Going via the Haskell wiki
>> (http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_Platform#What.27s_in_the_platform)
>> to find a link to the .cabal
>> (http://code.haskell.org/haskell-platform/haskell-platform.cabal) is
>> not that user friendly.  It's even worse that the latter link doesn't
>> seem to work at all at the moment.
>>
>> (The short irritated tone in this email accurately shows my
>> desperation with the situation: I thought I would be able to find this
>> information with only 5 minutes to spare before my next meeting.)
>>

> Currently, the versions are specified in the .cabal file.
> A script is used to generate the changelog page (diffcabal, iirc).
>
> I'll generate a spec page from the .cabal file this week sometime.

Ah, excellent.  Sorry for the rather rant-y email before.  I've now
been to the meeting and managed to calm down a bit :-)

> P.S. better sent to the haskell-platform@ list

Yes, of course.  I'm now trying to fix that by cross-posting, let's
hope I won't get too many angry emails about that ;-)

/M

--
Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org