[Haskell-cafe] Am I using type families well?

Sjoerd Visscher sjoerd at w3future.com
Mon Nov 1 08:41:51 EDT 2010

Hi,

There's nothing wrong with your type families. The problem is that the compiler doesn't know that the m and rsc of eval are the same as m and rsc of runLoader. (Also you had a small bug in the type of eval)

You need the ScopedTypeVariables extension, with a forall on runLoader to tell GHC that they should be scoped:

runLoader :: forall m rsc a. (Monad m, Resource rsc) => CfgOf (IdOf rsc) -> RscLoader rsc m a -> m a
runLoader cfg loader = viewT loader >>= eval M.empty
  where
    eval :: (Monad m, Resource rsc) =>
         M.Map (IdOf rsc) rsc
         -> ProgramViewT (EDSL (IdOf rsc)) m a
         -> m a
    eval _    (Return x)     = return x
    eval rscs (instr :>>= k) = case instr of
      Load id -> do let loc = retrieveLoc cfg id
                          -- open and load from loc will go here
                          viewT (k ()) >>= eval rscs
      -- -- -- Other cases yet to come...

greetings,