[Haskell-cafe] Problems with Haskell Platform

Dominic Steintiz dominic at steinitz.org
Sun May 30 10:11:59 EDT 2010

Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> Dominic Steintiz wrote:
>
>> I seem to be in some sort package dependency hell (which I thought the
>> Haskell Platform did away with).
>> I install ghc using my package manager (I'm on opensuse)...
>> But
>>
>>> dom1 at fourier:~> cabal upgrade cabal-install
>>>

> A while back I had a similar problem. I was instructed by
> the Cabal cabal never to use "cabal upgrade", it's
> broken. Use "cabal install --reinstall" instead.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Yitz

Hi Yitz,

Thanks for this. It turned out that there were some old files in
/usr/lib/ghc-6.12.1/package.conf.d/* which were confusing ghc-pkg and
cabal. I deleted these and re-installed ghc via the package manager and
I am now back working (although not on the Haskell Platform afaik). All
I had wanted to do was install the "statistics" package and 3 hours
later I had ;-)

Dominic.