[Haskell-cafe] Re: Proposal to solve Haskell's MPTC dilemma

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Fri May 28 01:36:55 EDT 2010

On 05/27/10 17:42, Carlos Camarao wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 5:43 PM, David Menendez<dave at zednenem.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Carlos Camarao
>> <carlos.camarao at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Isaac Dupree:

>>> If qualified importation of k from both P and from Q was specified, we
>>> would have two *distinct* terms, P.k and Q.k.
>>
>> I think Isaac's point is that P.k and Q.k have the same definition (f
>> o). If they don't produce the same value, then referential
>> transparency is lost.
>>
>> --
>> Dave Menendez<dave at zednenem.com>
>> <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/<http://www.eyrie.org/%7Ezednenem/>>
>>

> The definitions of P.k and Q.k are textually the same but the contexts are
> different. "f" and "o" denote distinct values in P and Q. Thus, P.k and Q.k
> don't have the same definition.

Oh, I guess you are correct: it is like defaulting: it is a similar
effect where the same expression means different things in two different
modules as if you had default (Int) in one, and default (Bool) in the
other.  Except: Defaulting according to the standard only works in
combination with the 8 (or however many it is) standard classes; and
defaulting in Haskell is already a bit poorly designed / frowned upon /
annoying that it's specified per-module when nothing else in the
language is*.(that's a rather surmountable argument)

It may be worth reading the GHC user's guide which attempts to explain
the difference between incoherent and non-incoherent instance selection,
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/6.12.2/html/users_guide/type-class-extensions.html#instance-overlap
I didn't read both it and your paper closely enough that I'm sure
anymore whether GHC devs would think your extension would require or
imply -XIncoherentInstances ... my intuition was that
IncoherentInstances would be implied...

*(it's nice when you can substitute any use of a variable, such as P.k,
with the expression that it is defined as -- i.e. the expression written
so that it refer to the same identifiers, not a purely textual
substitution -- but in main above, you can't write [assuming you
imported C] "print (f o)" because it will be rejected for ambiguity.
(Now, there is already an instance-related situation like this where
Main imports two different modules that define instances that overlap in
an incompatible way, such as two different instances for Functor (Either
e) -- not everyone is happy about how GHC handles this, but at least
those overlaps are totally useless and could perhaps legitimately result
in a compile error if they're even imported into the same module.))