[Haskell-cafe] Google Summer of Code: BlazeHTML RFC

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Thu May 27 06:01:34 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Ivan Miljenovic <
>> ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Wow, I find it rather surprising that String out-performs Text; any
>>> idea why that is?  I wonder if you're just using it wrong...
>>>
>>> Could be, I'd be very happy if that were the case. All of the benchmarks
>> are available on Github, and the bytestring[1], text[2] and string[3]
>> versions are all rather short.
>>

> Do you include the cost of encoding the result as e.g. UTF-8? The hope
> would be that the more compact Text would be faster to traverse, and thus
> encode, than the list based String.
>
> No, but this is done on purpose. One of my goals in this benchmark was to
determine whether I should consider switching Hamlet to ByteStrings. If I
were to do so, then the UTF-8 encoding would be done at compile-time instead
of run-time.

You're correct that a fair comparison would be to UTF-8 encode the Strings
as well. However, that's not what most users are going to do most of the
time: when dealing with ASCII data, a straight Char8.pack encoding will do
the same as UTF-8. I'm simply pointing out that I think Blaze should support
this style.

Michael