[Haskell-cafe] TDD in Haskell

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Tue May 25 14:07:20 EDT 2010

On 25 May 2010 13:25, Christopher Done <chrisdone at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I would follow tibbe's Haskell style guide[3] because it is strict and
> reasonable. To quote it on this topic:
>
> "Always use explicit import lists or qualified imports for standard
> and third party libraries. This makes the code more robust against
> changes in these libraries. Exception: The Prelude."
>
> [3]: http://github.com/tibbe/haskell-style-guide/blob/master/haskell-style.md

The possible advantage in robustness is pretty small - if the imported
library adds and exports a new definition using a name you were
already using then you'll get a name conflict.

The GHC style guide has better[*] reasons for avoiding them:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/CodingStyle

[*] "Better" - as in it conforms to my prejudice....

Best wishes

Stephen