[Haskell-cafe] Re: Proof question -- (==) over Bool

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Sun May 23 05:53:24 EDT 2010

For Bool, I'm not sure, but for, e.g., () it's certainly true.
Take this definition of ==
  () == _  =  True
Using case analysis of just the constructors, ignoring the value
bottom, you can easily prove symmetry.
But '() == undefined' terminates, whereas 'undefined == ()' does not.

Ignore bottom at your own peril.

BTW, the id function works fine on bottom, both from a semantic and
implementation point of view.

  -- Lennart