[Haskell-cafe] TagSoup 0.9

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Wed May 19 14:05:16 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 19:46:57, Ralph Hodgson wrote:
> Forgot to add: I now need to understand the following warnings on this
> line "> import Text.HTML.Download":

In Text.HTML.Download, there's the following:

{-|
    /DEPRECATED/: Use the HTTP package instead:

    > import Network.HTTP
    > openURL x = getResponseBody =<< simpleHTTP (getRequest x)

    This module simply downloads a page off the internet. It is very
restricted,
    and it not intended for proper use.

    The original version was by Alistair Bayley, with additional help from
    Daniel McAllansmith. It is taken from the Haskell-Cafe mailing list
    \"Simple HTTP lib for Windows?\", 18 Jan 2007.
    <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/18443/>
-}

and

{-# DEPRECATED openItem, openURL "Use package HTTP, module Network.HTTP,
getResponseBody =<< simpleHTTP (getRequest url)" #-}

So, don't use Text.HTML.Download anymore, instead use the functions from
the HTTP package.

Deprecated stuff will probably be removed in one of the next releases.