[Haskell-cafe] cabal-install

Serguey Zefirov sergueyz at gmail.com
Tue May 18 12:15:22 EDT 2010

Why there is no switch to turn off any use of proxy in cabal-install?
Or to supply username/password pair in command line.

I have a strange situation: wget works like charm ignoring proxy (I
downloaded Cabal and cabal-install to investigate the problem using
wget), Firefox works like charm igoring proxy, and only cabal cannot
access anything, because it follows proper proxy protocol and our
proxy requires username and password.

And I don't know of proper way to supply them through http_proxy
environment variable.

The most annoying part is that it is too much work to download and
build cabal using wget and scripts - I once tried it for some other
utility and didn't succeed.

PS
And while I am on it, I'd like to suggest that cabal-install should
read common options like credentials from environment or configuration
file.