[Haskell-cafe] Windows 7 Permission Denied Problem on Cabal

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at googlemail.com
Mon May 17 04:47:19 EDT 2010

On 17 May 2010 09:37, Phyx <lonetiger at gmail.com> wrote:

> The other approach I like much better is instead of doing global installs,
> do user installs. In fact, I made it my default. Which solves any permission
> error, but means every user on that machine has to install the libs
> separately which shouldn’t be a problem if you’re the only one.
>
> To do this go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\cabal\ and open the
> file “config” in a text editor and inside that, uncomment the bit that says
> “user-install: True”

This should be the new default on Windows as of Cabal-1.8.0.4 /
cabal-install-0.8.4. Existing cabal config files will not be updated,
but people installing for the first time should get this default.
Perhaps Ralph can double check that for us.

Ralph: note that this stuff with the config only applies if you run
the "cabal" program, rather than compiling and running "Setup.exe".
The latter is more low level, does not use any config file and has
different defaults. Easier to stick to the "cabal.exe" program.

Duncan