[Haskell-cafe] [reactive] A pong and integrate

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Sun May 16 18:09:19 EDT 2010

Yes, it would be very nice to actually pinpoint why this can't be
done. Is it a bug, is it a design flaw, ... I'm just saying that I'm
not aware of a working Pong game in Reactive. Well actually, someone
did make a Tetris game with it once...

Intuitively I would say Reactive gives the programmer too much power
of what can be done with time, making it all too easy to break
causality. And since that's a physical law that can't be broken
(unless Reactive would create a wormhole somehow), it means you too
easily get delays or deadlocks. But that's just an intuition, I can't
describe this formally. This is a general problem of first class
signals IMHO: too open, not restrictive enough. First class signals
are fine for just animation, but not for complex reactivity.

Yampa gives you access to signal transformers, not the signals
themselves, which is more natural to me as a casual game developer.
Yampa looks like dataflow programming, but I agree that's not
something you want to do in a text editor ;-) (stuff like x <- f -< y
is easier in a graphical boxes/links editor). Also, a lot of global
state needs to be transfered to all the signal functions (e.g. a
random number seed that can't be used statically, e.g. in dynamic
collections), and an arrow is fine for that, just like a state monad
is.

Well, at least that's what I understand from it. But I understand only
tiny bits of pieces of it all :)